Sleep apnea is a condition that affects the way you breathe while sleeping—often leading to frequent, loud snoring. Specifically, this is instigated when the soft tissue in the back of your throat relaxes while you sleep, causing interruptions in breathing.
This can cause a wide range of problems from sleep disturbances to more serious health issues. However, with advances in dental devices, this condition can now be treated and controlled!
Learn more about how snoring devices can help your sleep apnea by calling our office today to meet with one of our sleep apnea dental professionals!
What Is Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a common problem that affects a person’s breathing during sleep. A person with OSA has times during sleep in which air cannot flow normally into the lungs. The block in airflow is usually caused by the collapse of the soft tissues in the back of the throat and tongue during sleep.
Some common symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea are:
- Loud, chronic snoring and long pauses in breath
- Choking or gasping while sleeping
- Feeling tired and sleepy throughout the day
- Waking up with a headache, dry mouth, or sore throat
- Insomnia or constantly waking during the night
- Forgetfulness, irritability, or depression
Why Is It Important to Treat Sleep Apnea?
It is important to treat sleep apnea because it can have long-term consequences for your health. Obstructive sleep apnea can range from mild to severe.
Problems that can develop from untreated sleep apnea are:
- Chronic tiredness from sleep deprivation
- Slower reflexes and poor concentration
- High blood pressure and weight gain
- Health issues such as diabetes and heart disease
How Do Sleep Apnea Devices Help to Stop Snoring and Treat Sleep Apnea?
When the tongue causes restriction of the upper airway and blocks the airflow, it is called obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). A similar problem causes snoring when the muscles and soft tissue in the throat relax, making the breathing airway smaller. A relaxed or collapsed airway produces soft tissue vibrations that make the sound of “sawing wood.”
Custom-made oral appliances are proven to be more effective than over-the-counter devices. At Reflections Dental Spa we offer custom-made oral devices to help keep the upper and lower jaw in place during sleep. They allow the air passage to remain open, resulting in better sleep.
How Is an Oral Appliance Made?
If snoring and sleep apnea are causing you difficulty in getting a good night’s sleep, having a custom-made oral dental device might be the solution for you. Here are the steps we will take to get you a custom-made appliance:
- Come in for a consultation so our dentists can help determine the cause of your snoring or sleep apnea.
- After a diagnosis, our dentists will take impressions of your teeth to make the appropriate appliance for you.
- When your appliance is made and ready, you will be able to experience a better night’s sleep!
Call our office today to get fitted for your own custom-made dental device to help aid your snoring or sleep apnea!
Advantages of Oral Appliances
When used consistently and under the guidance of a sleep apnea dentist, dental devices can considerably improve your sleep quality. You can start to feel a difference in your symptoms after the first night of use. Convenient and non-invasive, sleep apnea dental appliances provide many advantages over traditional obstructive sleep apnea treatments.
- Comfortable: Oral appliances are comfortable and easy to wear. Most people find that it takes only a couple weeks to become acclimated to wearing the appliance.
- Convenient: Oral appliances are small and convenient, making them easy to carry when traveling.
- Noninvasive: This is a non-invasive solution to snoring instead of needing a surgical treatment.
- Cost-effective: Oral appliances can be more cost effective than other obstructive sleep apnea treatment options.
A Comfortable Alternative to CPAP
For many suffering from sleep apnea, the continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is a common treatment. However, it’s not the only solution. At Reflections Dental Spa, we offer a comfortable and effective alternative with our custom-fitted oral appliances. These devices are designed to maintain an open airway without the need for bulky, intrusive CPAP equipment.
By choosing this alternative, you can enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep with minimal disruption, making it an ideal choice for those seeking a less invasive option. Talk to us about how this CPAP alternative can be completed and tailored to your needs, ensuring you get the restful sleep you deserve.
Get the Sleep You Need with a Sleep Appliance Mouthguard
At Reflections Dental Spa we are excited to offer a custom-fitted sleep appliance mouthguard that will improve your quality of sleep. Don’t waste another minute, call us today!