Kids are sometimes afraid of the dentist or of certain dental procedures, and understandably so. That’s why going to a kid-friendly dental office like Reflections Dental Spa can go a long way in putting your children at ease. Once little ones get used to the dental office, their dental anxiety tends to subside.
If you are concerned about your child’s anxiety during their dental procedures, give us a call about using laughing gas as we provide services.
Nitrous oxide is the gas commonly known as “happy gas” or “laughing gas.” Administering nitrous oxide can help reduce a child’s anxiety during their dental treatments or routine checkups.
The gas is given through a small nosepiece, and allows your child to be awake and calm throughout the procedure. Children usually recover quickly from the effects of the gas after their dental treatment has been completed.
What to Expect Before a Dental Treatment Needing Nitrous
As a parent or guardian, you must give your consent for the dentist to perform the dental procedure and administer nitrous to your child. Here at Reflections Dental Spa, we want parents to understand the procedure and the risks and feel comfortable asking any questions.
If you have any concerns at any point before during or after your child’s procedure, feel free to call our team or ask one of our dentists right away so we can answer your questions and put your fears to rest.
Risks of Using Nitrous Oxide
Here is a list of the potential risks that we urge you to be cautious of when considering using nitrous oxide for your child’s sedation needs:
- In some cases, your child’s oxygen levels may drop. If this happens, the child will be given oxygen through a mask. Our dental professionals will carefully check your child’s breathing throughout the procedure.
- Some children may vomit. Very rarely, they may breathe the vomit into their lungs, which may require specific treatment.
What to Expect During a Dental Treatment Needing Nitrous
Nitrous oxide sedation is administered in the dental chair. Your child will breathe the sedation gas through a small nose piece that does not cover their mouth.
During the procedure:
- The child might feel sleepy and relaxed from the nitrous.
- The dental staff will be monitoring your child’s nitrous levels to ensure they can still cooperate and follow verbal instructions.
- The dental staff may administer local anesthesia injections so that your child doesn’t experience any pain. These can be given while your child is under nitrous.
What to Expect After a Dental Treatment with Nitrous
Your child will recover from the effects of the nitrous oxide very quickly once their dental treatment has been completed. They will be observed for a brief period following this to ensure everything is normal.
Some children may feel a little sick or nauseated afterward. If they feel sick, they can drink some clear liquids to stay hydrated.
If a local anesthetic was given, your child will need to be careful not to bite their lip or cheek while it is numb.
Commonly Asked Questions about Nitrous Oxide
- Will nitrous oxide make my child laugh? Some people experience euphoria (intense happiness) when they receive nitrous oxide. However, the gas is far more likely to calm your child and make them drowsy.
- What are the alternatives to nitrous oxide? Not all children need nitrous for dental procedures. Sometimes a local anesthetic is effective enough for a procedure.
- Can nitrous oxide reduce pain during a procedure? Nitrous Oxide is not used as a pain reliever, however it can help calm a child’s anxiety and discomfort during a treatment.
- How long does it take for nitrous oxide to wear off after a procedure? Once our dental staff stops administering the sedation, the child will usually quickly recover from the effects and be able to go about their day as normal.
- Will I be asked before nitrous oxide is administered to my child? Yes. We will always ask for a parent’s consent before any medication, procedure, or sedation is administered.
If you have any questions about our sedation procedures, please give us a call! We are happy to answer your questions about your child’s dental needs.
Choose Us for Your Child’s Dental Needs!
Here at Reflections Dental Spa, we want your child to be as comfortable as possible. That’s why we offer nitrous as a tool to calm your child’s anxiety during their dental treatments. Call today to schedule your child’s next dental treatment with us.